Shots Fired at the Tiki Girl Lounge

From 1970 – 1977 I worked for the Los Angeles Police Department. This wasn’t something that I ever really wanted to do, rather it was a job of necessity. Let me explain.

When I came home from Vietnam at the age of 22 I quickly learned that I had a wonderful benefit waiting for me. The Veteran’s Administration would pay me $211 a month to go to college! In 1968 that was pretty good money so of course I immediately enrolled in school. The easiest path was to attend Long Beach Community College, a two-year school where I could acquire all of my undergraduate requirements. I should add that in this point of time in California college was free (there was no tuition). So the $211 was all gravy.

Almost three years later I was still attending this two-year college and collecting $211 a month. But then something unexpected happened. Terri told me she was pregnant. I was 24 years old. I had no job and I needed one ASAP.

A few days later we were sitting on the beach near our apartment when an airplane flew by towing a banner. It said, “Call 486-LAPD.” We walked home (we had an apartment one block from the beach that cost a huge $85 a month) and I immediately called the number. In the ensuing six weeks I went through a myriad of tests. I (miraculously) passed the MMPI (a psych test). I also passed the drug screen (another miracle). But I flunked the medical test. I was told that I had high blood pressure. At that time Terri was a very lovely (my apologies) competent medical assistant and she asked the vascular surgeons who she worked for how I might pass the blood pressure test. They sent her home with a formidable concoction of pills including barbiturates that I was supposed to take just before my blood pressure re-test. Well, I have no recollection of it but somehow I passed.

Fast forward through the five month police academy and I was now working in the Harbor Division of the LAPD. This part of Los Angeles consisted of two distinct areas: The good part of town (where I was assigned) and the bad part of town, where every officer, including me spent 99% of our time.

Anyway, one night at about 11:00pm my car got a radio call. The dispatcher said, “Shots fired at the Tiki Girl Lounge.” My partner, George (who was driving) looked at me with an “Oh $hit”expression. We were stopped at a red light at 19th and Pacific in San Pedro (a district in LA) and the Tiki Girl Lounge was just 20 feet away.

I grabbed the shotgun in the police car, opened the door, pumped a shell into the chamber and ran to the entrance of the bar. I knew George would be 5 seconds behind me but I didn’t wait for him –  I kicked open the door and went in. I saw two men on the floor, bleeding out. They were dying. Another bar patron who was shot ran out the back door. He was later found collapsed (dead) a block away.

I looked around the room and there was the suspect, a very small man with a deformed arm. He was trying to reload a .22 rifle, dropping bullets to the floor as he fumbled with the gun. I walked up to him, grabbed the .22 and knocked him down. My partner quickly handcuffed him and the incident was over.

It turned out that the suspect had been at the bar earlier and had been taunted and ridiculed by several men. He went home, got his rifle and came back.  I guess he had the last say.

After the shooting I took some flak for not “wasting” the suspect. It would have been a good shooting. People were dying and he was very close to firing another salvo. But for one brief moment, just as I entered the bar, there was no immediate threat. I didn’t need to shoot him.

This particular event didn’t upset me, but the job itself took its toll on my well-being over time. Police work was not for me. After seven years and seven days I left the LAPD. It was a great experience and the job became a springboard for other opportunities that would soon come my way. I have a few more stories about this stage of my life and I’ll share them here someday. Most won’t be this dramatic. For example, I once checked out a shotgun at the start of my shift and drove all over town with it on the roof of my police car. A frantic motorist waved at me as he tried to tell me about it at a red light. I thought he was just saying hello and I waved back and drove on.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s